Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Strawberry Fields

For those of you who know me, strawberries are close to my heart.  When my family moved to Florida in 1997, we landed near Plant City, Florida, which is the nation's winter strawberry capital and home of the Florida Strawberry Festival. 

When Florida strawberries arrive in my grocery store, I can hardly contain myself.  It's like having a little piece of home right in my kitchen.  And I think they taste 100 times better than the berries from California, but that's another story.  In fact, that makes me think of a funny story...

This is a total sidebar, but a few years ago, I sat next to (what I thought was) a regular ol' senior citizen at the Georgia Chamber of Commerce legislative session kick-off breakfast.  I couldn't really understand much of what the old man was saying, but I did pick up that he was talking about states in the southeast and their produce (random, right?!)  I dove right in to the convo and told him that being a Florida girl, I was disappointed that I couldn't find my Florida strawberries in my grocery store at the time.  After the conversation went on for awhile, the old man was whisked away to another table...and a guest at the table politely told me that the old man I was talking to was the Georgia Ag Commissioner.  Great.  I'm sure he loved my comment about Florida produce.  Glad I didn't get fired. 

Anyway, all of that to say...I took L&M strawberry picking this week at the University of Georgia Co-Op Extension Farm in Savannah.  While Georgia strawberries can't rival their big brother in Florida (I can say that now that I'm not chatting with the Commish), it was still a fun morning and the girls had a great time! 




Now, I need to break out my Florida Strawberry Festival cookbook and figure out what to do with three pounds of berries. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment