Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Tales from an Insomniac

One of the great (read: sarcasm) things about being pregnant is you don't really get much sleep. I wonder if it's foreshadowing for things to come, but regardless, I spend a lot of sleepless nights pondering the 1,000,000 RANDOM thoughts that come across my brain. Because I have no other way to get them out of my head other than to spit them back out, I thought I'd share them with you. Otherwise, I play them in my head over and over again. (And while I've actually tried that as a means to get myself to fall back asleep, it doesn't work.)

Here's a sample playlist of last night/this morning's randomness. To provide you with the full effect, I'm listing them in the same order that they played out in my head tonight:

  • I sure am glad I registered for all those bed pillows at JCPenney when I got married, otherwise I wouldn't be able to log the few hours of sleep each night that I am able to get. I mean, I've been staring a dozen pillows in my linen closet for 5 1/2 years now, thinking that I should really give some of them to Goodwill or something. Well, imagine that. Eddie has built me a classic Army bunker of my feathered-filled friends so that I can wedge my barbecue grill of a belly in bed each night. Bless his heart.

  • I hope Eddie is enjoying his new position at Ferguson. Is he feeling tremendous bouts of stress about his new job? Is he nervous about succeeding now that we have a family on the way? Is he worried about me being pregnant? Is he scared to be a dad to twins in less than 60 days? If he is, why doesn't he act like it? Doesn't he want to talk about it? Oh, and that new Breathe Right strip that he is trying to help with his jacked-up sinuses is really a miracle worker. He looks crazy as hell, but he seems to be breathing without any trouble. In fact, I can barely hear him. He is breathing, right? (Leans over a minimum of five times to check. We're good.)

  • Hmmm...I haven't felt Maisen move in awhile. I hope everything is ok. (Insert kick from Maisen...shoulder roll from Laiten) Check - check.

  • I'm so glad that I got a few big things checked off my list yesterday...bought the girls' car seats (thanks Grandma Roth) and a glider/rocker for the nursery. I actually found the glider/rocker on Craig's List and that was the first time I've ever done anything like that! I have been so anti-consignment, but when it came down to it, I really wanted that $1,000 rocker and seeing as though we've already spent the $1,000,000 we had saved up for the babies (read: more sarcasm) I thought, hell, why not get the expensive rocker that I really want for way less from the nice couple selling theirs in East Cobb. Now, I fully intend to get it steam-cleaned of course, but what if they had bed bugs or fleas, or worse yet, their kids had lice or something? No wonder Eddie thinks I need to be medicated. (I'm still having it sanitized, though.)

So, there you have it. All of the randomness that I battle during those sleepless hours. It's a wonder I have any teeth left from the grinding I must put myself through during the sleeping hours. Hopefully I'm not passing along this neurotic behavior to my girls in-utero.

No comments:

Post a Comment